In this lesson you will look at the different strategies implemented in places across the globe and the main strategy used in Timor Leste. Students will be assessing the need for the mitigating strategies such as the MPA in Timor Leste but also evaluating the strategies.
- Identify the links between the threats and the need for the mitigating strategies.
- Map and describe different strategies to mitigate the threats to coral reefs.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the MPA strategy used in Timor Leste, including the positives and negatives of the strategy.
- Are mitigating strategies needed? (10 minutes)
Students to discuss the threats and impacts learnt about in previous lesson and consequently the need to protect the coral reefs.
- Strategies used in other places in the world. (15 minutes)
Students to use the mitigation strategies information sheet to annotate the world map. Students to locate and describe the mitigation strategies used around the world.
- MPA in Timor Leste (15 minutes)
Students to use the MPA information sheet to create a fact file about the MPA used in Timor Leste.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the MPA in Timor Leste (10 minutes)
Students to judge the effectiveness of the MPA in Timor Leste. Watch the videos Community, Gov and Local tourism to include the view of the residents in Timor Leste.
- Consolidate the SOW (10 minutes)
Students to consolidate the SOW into a 60 second speech.