The context of the lesson is a practical investigation to discover how shape and surface area affect the speed at which a submersible descends. Students develop their understanding of forces, surface area, and fair testing.
- Understand gravity as a force
- Consider how forces affect submersibles
- Investigate how shape affects speed
- Predict and test with accuracy
- Describe how forces affect submersibles
- Forces mini quiz (15 mins)
Students take a forces mini quiz in groups to assess their level of understanding and open a discussion about gravity.
- Virtual submarine dive (10 mins)
Students take a virtual submarine dive and consider how forces might impact on submersible design.
- Shape investigation (20 mins)
Using modelling clay students investigate how a variety of shapes move at different speeds through water. Making predictions, students test different shapes and measure speed ensuring it is a fair test.
- Understanding water resistance (15 mins)
Students describe why shapes move at different speeds using scientific vocabulary to explain their findings.