View all videos

Glacier field science time-lapse

The research team collected snow, ice and soil samples which are processed and will be analysed for evidence of life - the type and abundance of different bacteria and algae.

A soil sample from sites visited by the team in the Austrian Alps yielded over 2,000 different species, but because of the limitations in scientific techniques, this could represent only 2% of the total species in each sample. Maybe you'll be the person to find a way to discover the remaining 98%!

STEAM Activities age bookmark-fill icon bookmark boy-girl broadcast icon calendar chevron-down icon close icon compass cross icon download external icon facebook gallery icon instagram icon Instagram icon linkedin links icon live-lessons icon location mail icon map next play previous professional-development right-arrow icon search share single image social-media speaker spinner icon students subject-update teacher-resources tick icon time twitter user video-lesson video youtube