For teachers wishing to bring a hands-on and creative element to the unit, this lesson provides the template for building a reef in your classroom and can act as the basis for future lessons. Rather than a traditional lesson, these resources describe two possible ways of making your own reef in the classroom: reef-in-a-box and a reef mural. Depending on the time, you have available, you can either use one or both of these approaches over the course of the unit.
- Describe how the tiny coral animal makes the reef
- Identify a range of living things that have their home in the coral habitat
- Produce an artistic version of the coral habitat
- Reflect on the diversity of life on the coral reef
- Reef builders (10 mins)
The real reef builder is the coral polyp that grows and forms the three-dimensional structure of the reef. Students will watch and reflect on the video Wonders of coral.
- Our amazing ocean (40 mins)
Students undertake making either a reef-in-a-box or reef mural. The timing of this activity can be extended or teaching staff can assist by prepping some of the background work.
- Dive log (10 mins)
Students reflect on their experiences of building their own reef by completing their dive logs.