This lesson is designed to prepare Key Stage 2 (KS2) students for their upcoming Coral Live 2019 session. Students are introduced to the wonders of the coral reef and the adventures of the XL Catlin Seaview Survey. Students will embark on their journey to become coral explorers, finding out where coral reefs can be found. They will then take part in their first virtual dive before generating their own questions in preparation for the Coral Live 2019 session.
- Consider what it would be like to be a coral explorer
- List important facts about the oceans
- Identify the main features of the coral habitat
- Formulate higher order questions
- Reflect on the wonders of the coral reef
- Setting sail (10 mins)
Students watch the 'Setting Sail' video and reflect on what it might be like to explore the coral reef.
- Our amazing oceans (10 mins)
Students take an ocean quiz to see how much they know about the world's oceans and build an understanding of its importance.
- Virtual dive (10 mins)
Students navigate around a virtual dive on one of the most famous dive sites on the Great Barrier Reef.
- Dive explorer questions (25 mins)
Using de Bono's six thinking hats, students construct their own questions.
- Guess what it is (5 mins)
Students attempt to identify an ocean creature from a close up image.