In this lesson students learn about the concept of ecosystem goods and services, following this they will answer GCSE style exam questions which they will peer assess, reflecting on how dependent we are on the ocean.
- List and describe the goods provided by the ocean
- List and describe the services provided by the ocean
- Consolidate understanding of ecosystem goods and services
- Evaluate the importance of the goods and services provided by the ocean
- Reflect and build on learning
- Ocean goods (10 mins)
Students discuss ways in which we rely on the ocean and explore some of the ways we depend on it for things such as food, transport and livelihoods, linking to case studies.
- Ocean services (15 mins)
Students learn about key services provided by the ocean such as climate regulation, acting as a carbon store and how marine environments such as mangrove forests prevent coastal erosion.
- GCSE style exam questions (10 mins)
Students answer GCSE style exam questions and peer assess using the mark scheme.
- Letter to the Secretary of State for the Environment (15 mins)
Students write a letter to the Secretary of State for the Environment expressing their opinion about the importance of the oceans and why more needs to be done to protect them.
- Reflection (10 mins)
Students consider how the ocean is used and the subsequent threats to the ocean sharing their concerns with a partner and the teacher.