In this lesson students are introduced to the ways in which we use the ocean and discuss and share their knowledge. Students work in groups to plan and build a diorama which illustrates some of the ways we use the ocean. Students also reflect on how damaging this ecosystem could be detrimental for all of us.
- Understand how we rely on the oceans
- Give examples of what we get from the ocean
- Use knowledge and understanding to plan a group project
- Justify and explain choices
- How do we depend on the ocean? (10 mins)
Students are asked to reflect on how we rely on the oceans and then explore some of the ways we depend on the ocean such as for food, transport and livelihoods.
- Goods and services quiz (10 mins)
Students take a quiz and discuss the many ways we use on the ocean.
- Diorama time (30 mins)
In groups using plasticine, building or construction materials students construct a 3D diorama of the ocean which demonstrates some of its goods and services.
- Presentation (10 mins)
Groups take turns to display and describe their diorama, explaining each aspect of it and how it relates to the ocean ecosystem.