In this lesson students look at the different strategies implemented in places across the globe and the main strategy used in Timor-Leste. Students will then not only assess the need for the mitigating strategies such as the MPA in Timor-Leste but also evaluate the strategies.
- Identify the links between the threats and the need for the mitigating strategies
- Map and describe different strategies to mitigate the threats to coral reefs
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the MPA strategy used in Timor-Leste, including the positives and negatives of the strategy
- Introduction to the lesson (5 mins)
Students to review the learning objectives.
- Are mitigating strategies needed? (10 mins)
Students to discuss the threats and impacts learnt about in previous lesson and consequently the need to protect the coral reefs.
- Strategies used in other places in the world (15 mins)
Students to locate and describe the mitigation strategies used around the world.
- MPA in Timor-Leste (15 mins)
Students to use the MPA information sheet to create a fact file about the MPA used in Timor-Leste.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the MPA in Timor-Leste (10 mins)
Students to judge the effectiveness of the MPA in Timor-Leste. Watch the videos Community, Government and Local tourism to include the view of the residents in Timor-Leste.
- Consolidate the SOW (10 mins)
Students to consolidate the SOW into a 60 second speech.