This lesson introduces Timor-Leste, the case study for this scheme of work and coral reefs. Students will locate Timor-Leste and other important coral reefs on a map. They will also learn what conditions are needed for a coral reef to grow and the global distribution of coral reefs.
- Locate Timor-Leste on a map
- Give reasons why coral reefs are important
- Describe the global location and distribution of coral reefs
- Describe and explain the global distribution of coral reefs
- Identify different warm coral reefs
- Introduction to the unit (5 mins)
Go through the scheme of work with the students making it clear to them that at the end of the 8 lessons they will complete a GCSE style exam paper.
- Introduction to Timor-Leste and the Coral Triangle (20 mins)
Students use the information sheets about Timor-Leste and the Coral Triangle placed around the classroom, to complete the Student Sheet. This task includes mapping the location of Timor-Leste and the Coral Triangle and making notes.
- Key facts about coral reefs (15 mins)
Students to watch the videos. When the videos have finished students to complete the reflection table. Students then read the information about the Picky Polyps and shade the area they think coral reefs will be found on the Prediction Student Sheet.
- Where are the other warm coral reefs in the world? (10 mins)
Students to use an atlas and locate the different coral reefs on the blank world map.
- GCSE Style exam questions (10 mins)
Students complete several GCSE style exam questions.