This lesson will look at the impacts of coral reef destruction, categorising those impacts. We discover the impacts to different stake holders in Timor-Leste through watching videos. Students will then write a letter to their local MP informing them of the threats the coral reefs are facing and why they need protection.
- Remember some of the threats to coral reefs
- Describe the impacts of coral reef destruction
- Explain the short term and long-term consequences of the loss of the coral reef
- Predict a strategy to mitigate the threats to coral reefs
- Introduction to the lesson (5 mins)
Students to review the learning objectives.
- Threats recap (5 mins)
Students as a class make two lists of the local and global threats of the coral reef destruction.
- Impacts of coral reef destruction (10 mins)
Students to categorise the impacts of coral reefs found on the student sheet.
- Impacts of coral reef destruction in Timor-Leste (20 mins)
Students to watch the videos and make notes of the different impacts of coral reefs on Timor-Leste in a spider diagram.
- Consolidation and evaluation of information (15 mins)
Students to write a letter to their local MP. This task will get students to evaluate the impacts as they must be selective with what they will write to their MP.
- Mitigation (5 mins)
In pairs students to discuss the strategies they think are needed to mitigate the issues facing Timor-Leste and other coral reefs.