This lesson will look at the threats to the coral reefs, using a variety of resources including videos, a gallery and a information Student Sheet. This lesson will get students to start thinking about the scale of the threats to coral reefs and how we can all play a part, regardless of how far we live from the coral reef.
- List the threats to coral reefs
- Describe the different threats to coral reefs. Look at different scales – local in Timor-Leste (dangerous fishing) systemic (Climate change)
- Evaluate the threats to the coral reefs
- Predict a strategy to mitigate the threats to coral reefs
- Introduction to the lesson (5 mins)
Students to review the learning objectives.
- Nutrient Cycle (10 mins)
Students to draw the nutrient cycle seen on coral reefs.
- Threats to coral reefs (25 mins)
Students to come up with ideas of what they think may be threats to coral reefs.
- Classification of the threats (10 mins)
Students to colour code the different threats to coral reefs. Students to work in pairs to discuss whether they think something is a local threat or a systemic one.
- Evaluate the threats to coral reefs (10 mins)
Students to start thinking about what the biggest threat to the health of coral reefs is and why it is such a big threat.